Re: CRIME Underway

From: Jacob Redding (dextor@private)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 01:37:35 PST

      Wow! A Severe threat level is a very serious and costly level. I haven't
    heard of anything that would push us up to that level. Does anyone on this list
    have any insight as to what forseeable actions might push us to this
    level?

     Just for Quick Review, Severe condition outlines the possible
      -Closing of public and government facilities AND
      -Monitoring, redirection or constraining of transportation systems

      Also has anyone started to see any increased network activity? I think
    we've all heard the rumors of the new E-War, i'm curious if this is simply
    another rumor/scare tactic.

      And finally, I know that the war has just started (no viewpoint stated
    here) and in response to the declaration of war has or is anyone changing
    there information security procedures/policies and/or monitoring tactics?

    ----My Information----

      The snort sensors I have running on our internal and external networks
    are not showing any new or abnormal traffic patterns. We are still
    seeing approximately the same number of random exploit attempts except for
    the obvious increase in webdav attempts (and still some MS SQL exploits).
      We have also created plans for each threat level that outline the
    additional security measures taken. The plans contain everything from
    additional off-site backups, additional man-hours and physical security.
      We have not yet changed our standard mode of operation as a result of
    the declaration of war.

    -Jacob