Re: CRIME Underway

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:39:53 PST

    A nuke detonated anywhere in our borders, Poison in Bull Run,
    Etc. would qualify.

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:37:35 -0800 (PST) Jacob Redding
    <dextor@private> writes:
    >   Wow! A Severe threat level is a very serious and costly level. I
    > haven't
    > heard of anything that would push us up to that level. Does anyone
    > on this list
    > have any insight as to what forseeable actions might push us to
    > this
    > level?
    >
    >  Just for Quick Review, Severe condition outlines the possible
    >   -Closing of public and government facilities AND
    >   -Monitoring, redirection or constraining of transportation
    > systems
    >
    >   Also has anyone started to see any increased network activity? I
    > think
    > we've all heard the rumors of the new E-War, i'm curious if this is
    > simply
    > another rumor/scare tactic.
    >
    >   And finally, I know that the war has just started (no viewpoint
    > stated
    > here) and in response to the declaration of war has or is anyone
    > changing
    > there information security procedures/policies and/or monitoring
    > tactics?
    >

    > ----My Information----
    >
    >   The snort sensors I have running on our internal and external
    > networks
    > are not showing any new or abnormal traffic patterns. We are still
    > seeing approximately the same number of random exploit attempts
    > except for
    > the obvious increase in webdav attempts (and still some MS SQL
    > exploits).
    >   We have also created plans for each threat level that outline the
    > additional security measures taken. The plans contain everything
    > from
    > additional off-site backups, additional man-hours and physical
    > security.
    >   We have not yet changed our standard mode of operation as a result
    > of
    > the declaration of war.
    >

    > -Jacob
    >

    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:
    >
    > > If you haven't heard, it is underway.
    > >
    > > Has anyone heard whether the alert level will be/has been
    > increased to
    > > Severe?
    > >
    > > Please be sure to stay aware of any possible attacks on
    > infrastructure.
    > >   I wouldn't be surprised if there are numerous hacking attempts
    > from
    > > both domestic and international sources for the foreseeable
    > future.
    > >
    > > Be safe!
    > >
    > > T. Kenji Sugahara

    Signed,
    John E. Jewkes, SMD US Army MARS Oregon/Idaho
    OR/ID State Director (Portland METRO Area Resident)
    Confidential Phone Number (Confirm Only) 503-977-0527
    National HQ (24/7) Identify Line: 1-800-633-1128 ext 1

    Only $9.95 per month!
    Visit www.juno.com