Re: CRIME Recommended Honeypot Tools?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 23:35:10 PDT

    Clint Kaiser wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience with the open honeypot project?  I'm looking
    >for a recommendation on honeypot tools.

    Note that Oregon Senate Bill 655
    <http://www.leg.state.or.us/03reg/measures/sb0600.dir/sb0655.intro.html>
    (the "Super DMCA" <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9075>)  would
    prohibit ownership or manufacture of honeypot tools, as they deceive or
    conceal the identity & purpose of telecommunications gear.

    If this strikes you as a bad idea, write
    <http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2630> your Oregon
    State Senator <http://www.leg.state.or.us/senate/senateset.htm> and
    Representative
    <http://www.leg.state.or.us/house/houseset.htm>,*especially* those of
    you who live in Senator Charles Starr's
    <http://www.leg.state.or.us/starrc/> sprawling Hillsboro district 13
    (which actually encompasses the location of the CRIME meetings
    <http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/DistrictMaps/SenateMaps/s13.jpg>).
    Charles Starr appears to be responsible for this bill. Tell him what you
    think of favoring California entertainment companies over Oregon
    technology companies.

    Does Intel know that the senator from their district is proposing to ban
    NAT gear?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, WireX                    http://wirex.com
    HP/Trend Micro Immunix Secured Solutions
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/solutions/iis/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"