CRIME FW: [Information_technology] Daily News 5/06/03

From: George Heuston (GeorgeH@private)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 09:24:41 PDT

    From: NIPC Watch [mailto:nipc.watch@private]
    Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 6:55 AM
    To: Information Technology
    Subject: [Information_technology] Daily News 5/06/03

    May 05, InformationWeek
    DHS CIO: no 'digital Pearl Harbor' likely. "It's highly unlikely that
    the
    United States will experience a crippling "digital Pearl Harbor," the
    CIO of
    the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) says. "While this is a
    possibility, the probability is relatively low," Steven Cooper said in
    an
    online chat sponsored by The Washington Post. "We have done a lot in the
    federal arena to provide multilayered security for our digital
    environments
    and continually 'red team' our networks and applications to find
    vulnerabilities." The government spends millions of dollars on
    technology to
    safeguard IT, and Cooper said he isn't overly concerned about
    individuals
    who might compromise the government's IT infrastructure. "I would agree
    that
    it is always a risk," Cooper said. "However, all personnel working in
    the
    department, including contractors, must pass a security clearance and
    additional reviews and background checks, depending on level of
    clearance."
    Source:
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400450

    Internet Security Systems - AlertCon: 1 out of 4
    https://gtoc.iss.net/
    Last Changed 8 April 2003

    Security Focus ThreatCon: 1 out of 4
    www.securityfocus.com
    Last Changed 18 April 2003

    Current Virus and Port Attacks
    Virus: #1 Virus in USA: PE_FUNLOVE.4099
    Source: http://wtc.trendmicro.com/wtc/wmap.html, Trend World Micro Virus
    Tracking Center [Infected Computers, North America, Past 24 hours, #1 in
    United States]

    Top 10 Target Ports:
    137 (netbios-ns), 80 (www), 1434 (ms-sql-m), 25 (smtp), 445
    (microsoft-ds),
    113 (ident), 139(netbios-ssn), 41170 (---), 4662 (eDonkey2000), 53
    (domain)
    Source: http://isc.incidents.org/top10.html; Internet Storm Center