Re: CRIME Port scanning from an ISP

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 15:16:20 PDT

    On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 01:16:06PM -0700, Andrew Plato wrote:
    > Recently, an ISP had been relentlessly port scanning our network. So, I
    > sent them the logs and asked their admins to look into it. I figured one
    > of the weekend admins might be playing 31337 hax0r wannabe.

    It is a bit of bummer they are filling your system logs with all this
    stuff, and perhaps chewing more bandwidth than you'd like, but it
    doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

    Perhaps a response asking them to cache the retrieved information for a
    day or two might give you both what you're after -- you, a reduction in
    the traffic sent down your wire, them, the information they're after but
    with less traffic involved.

    --
    The DMCA is anti-consumer. The RIAA and MPAA have no right to rewrite
    copyright laws to suit themselves.