RE: CRIME Interesting way around spam filter

From: Ramsdell, Jack E (jer@private)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 08:37:38 PDT

    SPAM at its least is an irritation as we all know and can attest. At the
    worst, however, it is the cover under which the intruder comes skulking to
    the network. Complex attacks can hide under that cover a SPAM attack, hoping
    to obfuscate the logging and flood the network. I've heard of companies
    getting hit with 10's of thousands of SPAM messages in a short period of
    time. Distracted by the SPAM, the network admins didn't realize until a
    while afterwards that their servers had been rooted in the process.

    IMHO, SPAM is akin to the sweat that keeps running into your eyes while
    you're in the middle of a fight... irritating... and very damaging if timed
    right.

    -Jack