RE: CRIME FW: Wireless Communications during disaster?

From: Dorning, Kevin E - DI-3 (kedorning@private)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 09:55:42 PDT

    In past emergency's where Cell phones were a primary means of communications, there were considerable problems in getting essential messages through.  I know that a friend at one of the local utilities told me that during the 95/06 floods and storm season, they sometimes had crews waiting up to 4 hours after completing an emergency repair, for their next assignment.  This was because they relied on Cell's for communications, and the cell circuits were jammed because of outages on the surface phone lines.  It is also a phenomenon that whenever there is a disaster/emergency of any magnitude in a geographical area, the phone systems are maxed almost immediately with family contact calls.
    Some of us have Government Emergency Telephone Cards (GETS) that allow us to break in to the phone system for emergency communications,  However, I don't think that the cards cover cell communications at this time.

    An additional problem with wireless communications is that they rely on fixed broadcast and repeater sites, which, in a major earthquake situation may not be fixed any longer.

    For real emergency communications, most people are going to Sattelite phones, but this is a very expensive service to maintian just for emergency use.

    K.d>

    Kevin E. Dorning
    Chief Information Security Officer
    Office of the CIO  DI-3