Re: CRIME FW: Wireless Communications during disaster?

From: Robert David Chew (robert@private)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 10:41:56 PDT

    Hi,
    I am on my local CERT (in this case, Community Emergency Response Team,
    not the CERT homed at Carnegie Mellon).  This is a FEMA sponsored
    volunteer auxillary to the local Fire Dept.  Relying on cell phones during
    and emergency is a bad idea for 2 reasons:

    1) Each cell tower is connected to the PSTN (telephone network) by
    one or more T-1 land lines (or maybe line of sight microwave) that
    are vulnerable to most of the expected disasters in the region:
    earthquake, flood, landslides.  And individual towers could be
    knocked out by the side effects of any of the others (toast landing
    butter-side down).

    2) Regardless of point 1), everyone has cell phones these days, and
    in an emergency, everyone will be trying to use their phones.  This
    phenomenon can easily overwhelm the PSTN, I can remember 2 minute waits
    for dial-tone after a windstorm with GTE in Beaverton, but the traffic was more
    than enough to overwhelm the much lesser cell phone system capacity.
    I can tell you that cell phone service in Dallas Texas at the intersection
    of 2 freeways during rush hour is non-existent, I can't imagine what
    an emergency would do.

    So we are taught that we cannot count on cell phones during an emergency.
    We rely on FRS walkie talkies (1-2 miles) for intra-team communications
    with mobile ham operators to relay info to the Emergency Operations Center.
    We do not have security concerns.  We are more concerned with interference,
    but that is what you get on unlicensed spectrum.

    I would assume that the Coast Guard should have access to radios with
    some of the bandwidth allocated to the Federal gov't, that have encryption.
    A matter of money and dilligence in keeping them charged.

    Regards,
    Robert