Re: [CRIME FW: Wireless Communications during disaster?]

From: Brian Varine (witchdr@private)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 12:25:40 PDT

    First you need to figure out what type of communications you need to begin
    with and what the mission is.

    Cell phones are great if they work but in a disaster the network has a habit
    of becoming overwhelmed. I'm not aware of an entire cellular/PCS network going
    down over a large area so they seem to be robust enough to stay online. If you
    get the digital systems they are secure enough for tactical information.

    FRS work for short range tactical comms. The Coast Guard should have some type
    of VHF radios correct?

    Don't forget you also have considerable comm's assets within the Air and Army
    National Guard. The beauty of Guard units is they can be tasked by the
    Governor and deployed rather quickly.

    FEMA has an incredible about of Comm's gear that you might be able to tap.
    They have everything from satellite uplink trucks to portable trunked radio
    systems.

    As others have mentioned, HAM radio is a great asset for comms. During the
    floods of 96/97 HAM's did a considerable amount of patching messages.

    I believe the Civil Air Patrol even has the ability to provide communciations
    in emergencie.