RE: CRIME Privacy Vs Security

From: Christiansen, John (SEA) (JohnC@private)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 16:36:46 PDT

    Wyden is to a certain extent fighting the same problems that led to the Fair
    Credit Reporting Act - erroneous data misidentifying individuals causing
    credit denials, etc. - with victims not necessarily even knowing the data
    existed, much less having the ability to do anything about it. FCRA gave
    people the right to know about, review and seek correction of data - not
    perfect but at least recourse. Clearly there ought to be some way to get
    erroneous information cleaned off a no-fly list - both affected individuals
    and the enforcers would benefit.

    But solving the problem of authentication for air travel is the bigger
    problem, as it is on networks. I don't think even John Ashcroft has the
    nerve to propose universal individual IDs (I may be wrong, but this has
    proven the "third rail" of privacy regulation before), and even if this were
    politically possible there are major issues around system functioning and
    spoof-ability. (Can you effectively administer a biometrics system
    nationwide? How would you keep smart cards/tokens from compromise? And so
    on.) A "user name" system is horribly unreliable, even if buttressed by
    on-line verification.

    And on the Net or at the airport, the best we can probably do is raise the
    bar high enough to stop fools, greedheads, ethically challenged kiddies and
    dimbulb malcontents from causing harm. A highly motivated, skilled adversary
    with sufficient resources can probably overcome any barrier to assets
    (planes or computers) which is low enough to keep the assets reasonably
    available for legitimate purposes. I guess, therefore, that ultimately I
    want pretty good security, and an absence of skilled adversaries who are
    rich in resources and highly motivated to harm the computers and planes I
    depend upon . . .

    John R. Christiansen
    Preston | Gates | Ellis LLP
    *Direct: 206.370.8118
    *Cell: 206.683.9125
    Reader Advisory Notice: Internet email is inherently insecure. Message
    content may be subject to alteration, and email addresses may incorrectly
    identify the sender. If you wish to confirm the content of this message
    and/or the identity of the sender please contact me at one of the phone
    numbers given above. Secure messaging is available upon request and
    recommended for confidential or other sensitive communications.