RE: CRIME Senator Hatch - Destroy file swappers' computers

From: Justin Kurynny (justink@private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 08:59:54 PDT

    well put, Crispin.

    to draw an analogy, the Israelis and Palestinians show us how well the
    "hack back" or "attack back" approach works. those who are not directly
    involved in the conflict, i.e., innocents and civilians, take the
    heaviest casualties. the divisions between parties grow, anger feeds an
    ever growing anger, the problem sickens and festers, and the engagement
    results in stalemate with enormous costs to both sides.

    it's amazing how authority (at any level, public and private) tells us
    not to hit back when we're hit (anyone here remember preschool?), but we
    nationally set the opposite example with policies like this. it's easier
    to react than proact, apparently; unfortunately the costs are much
    greater.

    so let's continue this tirade, shut down some more schools and choke our
    kids just a little more. let's give our public educators a pay cut.
    let's cut funding for communities and parks and libraries. let's build
    some more prisons, raise the DHS alert level permanently to orange, and
    install some more expensive and ineffective security measures in
    airports. maybe with biometrics and a profile on every one of the
    world's inhabitants we'll really drive fear into the minds of would-be
    criminals and we'll defeat crime forever.

    let's all just go on and continue believing that attacking the symptoms
    will cure the problem. let's start a Fear Fund. we'll criminalize the
    brown people and then we'll move on to the satan-worshipping white
    suburban teenagers with nothing to do except gun down a crowded high
    school cafeteria. then maybe we'll have time to get all those insolent
    copyright infringers.

    so yeah, let's hack back. great idea.

    justin

    justin kurynny
    manager of network engineering
    waggener edstrom, inc.

    Notice Of Copyright: This content in this email is copyright (c) 2003 by
    Justin Kurynny. it may not be copied in part or in whole for any
    purpose. In fact, it may not even be read because reading could lead to
    retention, which is a biological copy of this material. If I reasonably
    believe that you are in violation of this copyright, your computer's
    bootstrap will spontaneously melt down. You will also be put on a
    mandatory prescription of rophynol if I deem it appropriate.

    *