RE: CRIME Senator Hatch - Destroy file swappers' computers

From: Gunderson_Dane (dane.gunderson@private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 14:38:41 PDT

    RE:'I think it's both - the underlying question being, under what conditions
    might someone be entitled to take potentially damaging action against
    somebody else's computer on a network?'

    How about None?

    There are civil remedies and criminal penalties, none of which allow privacy
    invasions or private property destruction/siezure without due process.

    ( Risking an analogy: ) Imagine Ben Franklin's reaction if a governmental,
    or non-governmental, party dropped by to destroy his printing press for
    allegations that copyrights had been infringed by works he, or a timeshare,
    or a wayward employee, or a burglar, ran on that printing press. Oh wait...
    we don't have to...

    We've allowed Constitutionally questionable governmental property siezures
    indulging the 'good intentions' of crime-fighting so perhaps booby-Hatch
    simply sees property destruction as the next step.

    Dane