Re: CRIME IDS is dead says Gartner

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 10:43:26 PDT

    On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 06:34:36PM -0700, Andrew Plato wrote:
    > http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=1
    > 0300918
    >> Stiennon contends that organizations are going to so successfully harden
    >> their internal systems that the "burglar-alarm" service
    >> intrusion-detection systems provide will no longer be necessary.

    This is obviously someone who has never performed a software audit in his
    life, let alone read bugtraq for a solid week. He's an idiot. (Unless
    the press has completely misunderstood what he's said, which has been
    known to happen in the dumbification process involved in publishing.)

    And while I think Andrew and I disagree on the degree to which IDS
    systems are useful :), certainly this statement is right out, and only
    helps point out that these analyst groups are willing to say anything
    for a few bucks...

    --
    "In time of war, the laws are silent." -- Chief Justice of the United
    States Supreme Court, William Rehnquist