CRIME Laptops w/build-in wireless

From: Daggett, Steve (Steve.Daggett@private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 16:38:24 PDT

      My collogues and I been talking about laptops (and PDA's) with embedded
    wireless around the office lately.  The new laptops we've been getting have
    built-in wireless cards, either standard or as an option.

      We were also sniffing around with NetStumble last week.  Our building *is*
    in range of a foreign open access point.  The signal is weak, but we were
    able to get online from our building.

      Now, I know that running an open access point is like hanging a hot
    Ethernet jack on the outside of the building, and that WEP is almost
    useless.  But what about wireless laptops?  Do they present the same threat?
    Physically, these things become bridges if they're plugged into the internal
    network while the wireless is hot.

      In the mean time, we've taken the safe route.  We're physically removing
    the wireless cards from laptops before they get passed out to the users.
    We're going to see some pushback from the users as soon as they figure out
    what we're doing.

    Steve Daggett
    Senior Network Design Engineer

    This e-mail is confidential and may well be legally privileged.   If you
    have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.   Please notify
    us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your
    system.   Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
    contents to any other person.   To do so could violate state and Federal
    privacy laws.
    Thank you for your cooperation.   Please contact me if you need assistance.