Re: CRIME Laptops w/build-in wireless

From: Brian Varine (WitchDr@private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 17:56:39 PDT

    Laptops aren't as bad as open wireless access points but they do present
    problems. The chance that someone could reach the laptop inside your
    physical corporate environment are small but that all changes when the
    laptop becomes mobile. Users are going to use them in airports, Starbucks,
    and other areas where there are AP's. I know there are a number of airports
    and all Starbucks have AP's in them that you can use for a fee. Most people
    don't realize that even though you aren't paying for the service, if your
    laptop is in range, the AP will let anyone associate with it and the laptop
    gets an IP assigned to it. Your laptop is then vulnerable to exploitation
    from anyone in the area that is on the same subnet. This probably isn't a
    problem for most users but if you carry sensitive data on your laptop, there
    are people that may try to exploit it.

    Removing the WiFi card is a great idea. Another way to do it is to remove
    the drivers for the card so it's effectively disabled. Then make sure the
    machine is locked down so the users can't make changes to the registry or
    add drivers.

    Also, don't overlook Bluetooth. It has security issues as well and is coming
    standard on more and more devices. There are already "bluestumblers" out
    there and RedFang will attempt to find "non-discoverable" Bluetooth devices.
    http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5JP0I1FAAE.html