CRIME What do you do with bad stuff?

From: Todd Ellner (tellner@private)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 11:34:16 PDT

    I realize that the lawyers on the list aren't my lawyers. And police
    officers aren't attorneys. But I have a practical question which maybe some
    of you have come up against. What do you do when Bad Things(tm) get put on
    your computer by someone else - warez, vile illegal images, someone else's
    trade secrets, the sort of stuff that you can get in trouble just for
    having? Do you erase it and get on with your life, call the authorities and
    let them deal with it or something else?

    The question came up when I looked at an old webserver and found that it was
    full of MP3s. Someone else had come in and put them in an unused corner of
    the disk. At least I'm pretty sure it was someone else. Nobody in our
    company has that poor taste in music. But suppose it had been something much
    worse. The best advice, of course, is "Ask a lawyer". And I will certainly
    get around to that but would like to take advantage of the specialized
    experience of this group first.

    Thanks in advance,
    Todd