Re: CRIME WARNING FYI

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 15:07:26 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:08:39PM -0700, Jim Wood wrote:
    > We are seeing several customers equipment with a security hole that has
    > been exploited

    > If you have any information on fixes, cases, or further damage please
    > email me immediately.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11 (lagged occasionally)
    (with neato graph: http://isc.sans.org/images/port135percent.png )

    A quick search on bugtraq will find -lots- of information on the vulnerability:
    (bugtraq archives here: http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1 -- search around
    for these messages in the archives -- or, i'd be happy to send these messages
    off to folks who hate the bugtraq archives as much as I do :)

    Jul 21 benjurry        (  95) Microsoft Windows 2000 RPC DCOM Interface DO
    Jul 22 voleur@speakeas (   2) Re: Microsoft Windows 2000 RPC DCOM Interfac
    Jul 22 flashsky fangxi (  20) Re: Microsoft Windows 2000 RPC DCOM Interfac
    Jul 23 benjurry        (  22) Re: Microsoft Windows 2000 RPC DCOM Interfac
    Jul 26 Marc Maiffret   (  36) EEYE:ALERT Free RPC/DCOM vulnerability scann
    Jul 26 fulldisclosure@ ( 374) DCOM RPC exploit  (dcom.c)
    Jul 26 S G Masood      (  50) Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    Jul 28 Marc Maiffret   (  75) RE: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    Jul 29 Thor Larholm    (  50) RE: RPC DCOM still vulnerable even after ap
    Jul 29 sk@scan-associa (  14) Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    Jul 29 sloppy seconds  (  12) RE: RPC DCOM still vulnerable even after ap
    Jul 29 Martin Peikert  (  10) Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    Aug 01 the farpointer  ( 224) Unix command line RPC/DCOM Vulnerability Sc
    Aug 11 Dave Ahmad      (  69) New Windows DCOM Worm -  msblast.exe (fwd)
    Aug 11 Dave Ahmad      (  23) DCOM worm analysis report: W32.Blaster.Worm

    --
    People who separate manpages from the programs
    they document would steal sheep.  -- apologies to Goudy