Re: CRIME query on radio text message security

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 13:26:42 PDT

    Hi Brian,
    Sadly, the pentagon now prohibits Morse Code (the Original Digital mode)
    on Mil frequencies (where we operate on) since the early 90's.
            As proven during 9-11 and subsequent/former incidents, HF is
    considerably
    more reliable than much of the gizmos, including Cellular, Satellite and
    Such
    devices (Including two-way Pagers, PDA's and so on) that require very
    precise
    Antenna Location models and power output levels that cannot be guaranteed
    in
    an emergency. As a Tertiary backup, (IE Triple Redundancy) we might not
    be
    used as often, or seem as necessary as once we were, until the regular
    and back-up
    communications systems fail. HAM and MARS were pretty much the only thing

    working right after the fall of the towers. Most Cellular and 800-MHz
    radio systems
    for Public Safety radio still can encroach on each other during an
    emergency or
    other 'overload' situation, causing both to become less than useful.
            Most agencies have dropped their FCC Licenses and equipment for
    150 and 450 MHz radio systems, and therefore have no direct replacements
    available for when the 800 MHz stuff goes dead.
            Add an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) and our old 'Tube' radios
    could suddenly
    be the only thing left to get messages in or out of the area.
            Since there would be a big learning curve to get ALL the various
    agencies to
    use the same 10/11/12 codes, plain language remains the best alternative.
    ALE
    does help, and does have a soundcard based availability as well. This
    helps only
    to find and keep ready the best frequencies, and does little else than to
    "PRE-ID"
    the incoming datastreams and location of originator.
            Being of Cherokee/Osage descent, and knowing how poorly even our
    own
    generation knows all the fine points of the language (Because of greater
    acceptance
    of Native Americans, we have blended more into the rest of America,
    eroding the
    availability of 'pure speakers' of the tongues) I do not believe there
    would be near
    enough to cover all of America's own assets let alone it's overseas bases
    and
    gateway stations - (they are Similar in operation/function to Internet
    Hubs). Back in
    the 40's and up till the late 70's, we pretty much just stayed with our
    own folks and friends
    and rarely mingled... so the language was easier to keep pure then... vs.
    now.
            Do Appreciate the input though, it does help to go over the
    simplest or
    easiest sounding alternatives just to make sure we didn't overlook or
    miss some
    possibility. However, one possibility that might pass muster would be to
    use the
    newer 'automated' Morse programs that can literally be set to operate at
    200 WPM.
    (Few 'live' operators would be able to operate that fast for intercept)
    And it would
    not 'sound' like morse to the Brass at the pentagon. Maybe could even
    name it
    something like 'Handigi' or such to further disguise it. Many of the more
    recent rank
    advancees at the pentagon never even herad of Morse code...... hmmm might
    just
    work after all.. Will run it up the pole and see who stands at attention
    or salutes...

    TNX  es 73 de John Jewkes..