CRIME query on radio text message security

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 20:02:21 PDT

            In the MARS program, we have never needed previously a
    'protected' mode for sending our raw text messages via radio
    Teletype (RTTY) operations, as the majority of the traffic was
    morale and welfare traffic for Armed Services Personnel and
    their families back home. As such, almost ALL of our radio to
    computer interface work is done using modified amateur radio
    digital traffic programs.
            Now that MARS does much more support and reporting
    of incidents to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, FEMA, and so on....
    Does anyone know of a method of more securely sending these
    reports with 'encryption'. (MARS is still under a 1953 Mil Regulation
    that prohibits our encryption of messages, stating that only 'CIA
    or INTEL' personnel can initiate an encrypted message, and that even this

    must include 'plain language' headers for delivery addressing).
            We simply need something that is not readily available as
    shareware
    or freeware, and limited in commercial usage. A couple of twists for you
    on
    this next question: One: All but a handful of our members are volunteers,
    and
    most are retirees, so big $$ are out of question, as MARS receives
    minimal
    funding at best, mainly designated for operation of the various
    radio/data
    gateways around the world, HQ staff and recruiting of volunteers.
    TWO: program would have to be simple to install and operate as again,
    many of the volunteers are retirees and not many know the more
    sophisticated
    programs/OS commands, etc....
            With that in MIND, does anyone know of such a program currently
    in design
    or testing, or know of someone with the expertise to do so? Best of all
    worlds would
    be soundcard based, with a simple interface between soundcard and radio
    for transmit
    and receive, and again be a non-readily available protocol, that is easy
    to install,
    setup and operate, and can interface with the MARS Messaging System
    easily..

    TIA

    Signed,
    John E. Jewkes, SMD US Army MARS Oregon/Idaho
    OR/ID State Director (Portland METRO Area Resident)
    Confidential Phone Number (Confirm Only) 503-977-0527
    National HQ (24/7) Identify Line: 1-800-633-1128 ext 1

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!