Re: CRIME Electronic Voting Security

From: Marc Schuette (mschuette@private)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 11:39:52 PDT

    not to argue the point but there are a number of steps in the process
    that make it MORE difficult to tamper with a mail-in election than we think:

    if you notice on the ballot envelope (the outside one not the secrecy)
    there is a barcode that is specific to your ballot - all ballots are
    scanned as they come into the elections office.

    signatures on the outside envelope are matched on all ballots and if
    there is a non-matching sig the elections office will notify that person
    of the error .

    the secrecy envelopes are opened under observation and there is no way
    to identify a ballot (dem/repub/other) at this point - after they are
    opened they are fed through the counting machines and tabulated.

    you can call the elections office and they can tell you if you were sent
    a ballot and if they received a ballot back from you - they cannot tell
    you how you voted only if they got a ballot from you (there is an
    assumption that it was counted correctly if you did NOT hear from teh
    elections office that your ballot was NOT counted).

    just some general broad strokes but it seems there are multiple
    checkpoints where fraud MIGHT be discovered. you (anyone) can observe
    this process during a ballot count. call the elections offices and ask
    to go on a tour that night.