Re: CRIME FW: [Information_technology] Daily News 9/15/03

From: Raan Young (raan@graand-visions.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:39:29 PDT

    > Voice mail hijacked to accept collect calls from crooks. The words "Yes, Yes, Yes" ...

    I'm missing something.  It's not clear to me what point there is to this.

    I haven't made a collect call in a long time, but it used to be that the operator would ask
    the receiver if they would accept a collect call from so and so, then make the connection if
    they agreed.

    So it seems like all this con would do is leave somebody connected, via a collect call, to
    the victim's voicemail box.  Other than as a prank (or a way to drive up AT&T's income :-) I
    don't see any value to this.

    Can somebody enlighten me?

    Raan