Re: CRIME FW: [Information_technology] Daily News 9/15/03

From: tlmacgi@private
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:49:04 PDT

    http://www.ldfacts.com/The_Yes_Scam.htm       <--- link with more info

    It's generally used for calls where a third-party is billed.    The long
    distance carrier calls the number with the hacked voice mail message and
    asks if they will accept the charges, and they operator hears "yes"  or
    "yes I will accept the charges".

     -- Teri

    _____________________________________
    Teri MacGill, CPA, CISSP, CIA, CISA
    The Regence Group
    Security Staff Consultant/Security Architect
    (503) 553-1406

                          "Raan Young"
                          <raan@graand-visions.       To:    crime@private
                          com>                       cc:
                          Sent by:                   Subject:      Re: CRIME FW: [Information_technology] Daily News 9/15/03
                          owner-crime@private

                          09/15/2003 12:39 PM
                          Please respond to
                          raan

                          |-------------------|
                          | [ ] Secure E-mail |
                          |-------------------|

    > Voice mail hijacked to accept collect calls from crooks. The words "Yes,
    Yes, Yes" ...

    I'm missing something.  It's not clear to me what point there is to this.

    I haven't made a collect call in a long time, but it used to be that the
    operator would ask
    the receiver if they would accept a collect call from so and so, then make
    the connection if
    they agreed.

    So it seems like all this con would do is leave somebody connected, via a
    collect call, to
    the victim's voicemail box.  Other than as a prank (or a way to drive up
    AT&T's income :-) I
    don't see any value to this.

    Can somebody enlighten me?

    Raan

    IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
    information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
    for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
    intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
    that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
    prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
    to be a legally binding signature.