RE: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and publication (fwd)

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 12:36:20 PDT

    While @Stake's behavior might be lame, the report that Greer and friends
    published is not with out flaws.

    Among many flaws, the report almost totally ignores the myriad of 3rd
    party technologies that can make Windows systems more secure. Hence,
    their models are fundamentally flawed. They are based on the assumption
    that NOBODY secures their Windows systems. Thus concepts like
    "cascading" failures are not as likely as the report leads readers to
    believe.

    This is a good example of one of the chief problems with information
    security research. Many of the theories about information security are
    only relevant in academic settings. In practice, these theories erode
    and have much less relevance.

    In this report, the authors talk about the possibility of crafting an
    exploit that could wipe out or cause massive failure of Windows systems.
    While it is theoretically possible that such virus could bring the world
    to its knees, the practical reality is not as dire. There are numerous
    independent mechanisms in operation that can prevent and stop the
    widespread distribution of this theoretical virus. Most of these
    independent mechanisms do not rely on Windows at all. My WatchGuard
    firewall runs a custom Linux kernel. The ACLs on my switches are handled
    by Cisco IOS. And even on my Windows machines I have anti-virus and
    host-IPS from third parties. For this theoretical "world stopping" virus
    to work, it would have to cut through 4 or 5 independent systems to
    crash a Windows box.

    Hence, this kind of research paints impractical pictures of
    cybersecurity. It makes out Microsoft to be a single point of failure,
    when in reality, Microsoft is just one player in bigger arena. Moreover,
    its my belief, that the largest security hole in every organization is
    between the ears of the employees.

    I know it sounds like it, but I am not defending Microsoft. I'm the
    first to admit that Microsoft is a big part of the security problems out
    there. But security is a bigger issue than just Microsoft. Microsoft
    might be a 900 lb gorilla, but that doesn't mean there isn't a plenty of
    800lb and 725lb gorillas out there that are equally as bug-riddled as
    Microsoft.

    The other problem with this report is how it fuels a lot of holy war
    reasoning. While it might be trendy to bash Microsoft, that trendieness
    does not translate into a server room full systems.

    Technology holy wars are entertaining distractions for newsgroups and
    beer fueled pub rants, but when it comes time to make a business work,
    holy wars can be destructive and counterproductive. Holy wars are about
    coercion and emotions, not rational analysis. Smart businesses approach
    technologies neutrally and analyze their benefits and weaknesses fairly
    and honestly. They weigh their needs, analyze the data, and make an
    informed decision.

    This is where I think some of the anti-Microsoft crusaders have taken
    their cause too far. They say things like "jihad" and "revolution" when
    talking about computer technologies. I prefer my "jihads" on the 10
    o'clock news. When it comes to my servers, I don't want a jihad or any
    kind of religious war. I just want the thing to work. And whether you
    like it or not, Windows systems do work quite well when they are set up
    and managed properly.

    Thus, I think I speak for some IT directors and executives in this way.
    Ivory Tower theories of mass Microsoft collapse and open-source crusades
    against the Borg-like Bill Gates are fun little distractions, but not
    very useful to a business. When it comes down to making business
    decisions, businesses need realistic data, not conspiracy theories.
    Servers are not religious icons, their tools to get a job done. If I
    want religion, I'll go to church. If I want a server, I go to Dell (or
    maybe HP).

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President/Principal Consultant
    Anitian Enterprise Security