RE: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and pu blication (fwd)

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 08:02:42 PDT

    > It is being discussed because (as Jimmy related it)
    > the Blaster worm used this 2-step approach. Conversely, the
    > Slammer/Sapphire worm was a single step, notably doing all of
    >  its exploiting and damage in a single UDP datagram of a few
    > hundred bytes.

    Blaster was a lame virus. It used RPC to propagate, something no sane
    human should have open to the Internet. It also was easy to kill and
    didn't have a particularly dangerous payload.

    Once again, third party solutions easily prevented Blaster (good
    firewall rules, host-IPS, etc.)  Of my 50 or so customers in the
    Portland area. None of them experienced a serious Blaster infection. The
    only affected machines were a few laptops.

    > I don't know if AV products have a
    > chance at stopping single-stage worms. I doubt it, but Jimmy is
    > correct when he says I shouldn't talk about that which I don't
    > know, so I'll let him address that question.

    Slammer was more ingenious. Its smallness was its evil. But it too was
    easily stopped by one of a thousand third party products. And its been
    my experience that AV products are very good at detecting worms.
    Unfortunately, AV can only detect once the machine has been infected. So
    the better answer is to use AV in conjunction with good firewall rules
    and host-IPS if possible.

    This reinforces my original point that the concept of a "monoculture"
    isn't as dangerous as Greer's report leads you to believe. Because it
    totally ignores third-party security solutions, it draws misleading
    conclusions.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President/Principal Consultant
    Anitian Enterprise Security