RE: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and pu blication (fwd)

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 17:31:01 PDT

    Products that are generally labeled "AV" today are ones that "look for
    something" and must be triggered to do so, for the most part, by file
    activity (or via "Scan now").

    There is another category of product that NAI has been pushing a lot this
    year and calling it Intrusion Prevention.  We include in this category
    products that don't need "quite as much" updating and that have technologies
    that people don't associate to "string matching."  Frankly, the world has
    equated for too long this notion that AV == string match.

    Instead, AV more accurately represents, "We already have you on our
    machines, could you also do this...?"  And of course, from the other angle,
    "Ours is better because we *also* do X, Y, and Z."

    Anyway, I alluded to the notion that file-based triggers were changing in
    the future.  And the obvious reason is the worms that hit without creating a
    file.  We have another product in the Intrusion Prevention space that is
    triggered off other events, such as unusual protocol usage, execution from
    stack, etc.  Today, it's a separate product.  But as I said before, "we
    already have you on our machines..."  And so, eventually, this technology
    will be bound together into one, and called "AV."  Because AV sells.

    So, "Yes, we can."  But right now, it's not called "AV."  But in the future,
    it will.  But frankly, it's all the same to me.  And frankly, it's all the
    same to users as well.  Everything in this space will eventually all be
    called "AV."  That is, until one day when it will be a standard part of the
    security aspect of the OS.

    Jimmy