Re: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and pu blication (fwd)

From: Duane Nickull (duane@private)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 21:33:56 PDT

    Jimmy:

    Sounds logical.

    I have been involved with enterprise architectures over the last 10
    years and have learned ( and am still learning every day) important
    lessons when designing systems.  Architects usually make the mistake of
    thinking of what their architecture will do in terms of what theyt want
    it to do.  IMHO - It is imperative to start thinking more in terms of
    "how can someone use this infrastructure to do something other than what
    it was intended for".  Web servicees are a prime example of this
    stupidity run amock.  The notion that mission critical interfaces will
    be presented for any user to have access to is simply a very bad
    security hole begging to be abused.  Luckily, most tier ones have
    realized this.  Security for Service oriented architectures is in its'
    infancy.

    I agree that watching for other relevant events is important - such as
    the ones you have noted.  Monitoring processes, UDP activity, heap/stack
    usage, TCP/IP traffic etc are all important to note when things are not
    as they should be.

    My point about string matching is aimed more at the notion that
    signature detection alone will be sufficient to detect viruses.  I
    realize that much more sophistication is already inherent in many
    products. As you also noted, the world does need to get beyond the AV =
    string match.  Anti spam software is a prime exampel of this.  The AS
    guys write new algorythms to detect spam via telltale strings, the spam
    guys simply modify their spam until it passes.  I saw an interview on
    CNN where a spammer said it usually takes about 4 hours to thwart new AS
    releases.

    cheers.

    /d

    Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
    Web Services & ebXML Messaging / Registry Downloads
    UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture/ ebXMl Technical Architecture
    Phone:   +1 (604) 738-1051 - Canada: Pacific Standard Time
    Direct:  +1 (604) 726-3329