Re: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and publication

From: Bradford Siemssen (brad@strong-box.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 15:58:31 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > The third point is absurd. It flies in the face of decades of security
    > reasoning that says, when you have risks - mitigate them. Rather than
    > focus on the risks, Geer focuses on the environment where those risks
    > exist. And rather than talk about mitigating the risks, the paper
    > suggests that we need to fundamentally alter the environment (i.e. bust
    > up Microsoft.)

    I don't see the paper arguing for busting up Microsoft, but for giggles
    let's say it does.

    > Furthermore, if the real problem is that many systems in this
    > monoculture are left unpatched or unsecured, then clearly the problem
    > isn't the systems or the company that makes the OS - it's the people
    > and
    > organizations that use them.

    So the organizations and people should change. I think with the impact
    of worms and other malware shows that many, possibly most don't. I fail
    to see how what you argue should happen, is in any way less of an
    environment change than busting Microsoft. Please explain how altering
    the behavior of MILLIONS of people is less of an environmental change
    than altering the organization of ONE corporation?

    Granted in a perfect world people would properly patch their systems.
    In a perfect world, I'd have the body of the governor-elect of
    California, instead of a body that resembles an oversized Krispy-Kreme
    (don't ask about the hole in the middle, it's a long story).

    > When somebody fails to act responsible with
    > a car and hurts another person, we don't shut down the car
    > manufacturer.

    Ah, but this analogy is flawed.

    With cars and other products, when there is a consistent and recurring
    set of problems we DO hold the manufacturer liable. Remember the
    Corvair, the Pinto, burning hot McDonald's coffee? When there is a
    problem with the normal operation of a product the manufacturer is
    responsible to fix it, if they know about a problem and don't fix it
    they are legally liable for the damages that occur and can be subject
    to punitive damages.

    But Microsoft disclaims liability for damages caused by it's software.
    So the analogy is doubly flawed.

    > If you use a computer and
    > connect to a public space, you have a responsibility to secure those
    > systems. If you don't, then you will pay the consequences as will
    > others
    > in that public space.

    Yeah, and to experts it is clear the Internet is a public space, and we
    know that MS software is open to MANY attacks, and needs additional
    security. However, when Grandma uses Internet Explorer she doesn't
    realize she's in a public place, she doesn't know network services are
    exposed, she doesn't know what a TCP is, and she doesn't know what
    fabric store to goto to buy patches for the Internet. To expect her to
    somehow realize that she needs to secure her computer is just not
    realistic.

    I prefer the "diversity" approach. Buy Grandma a Mac. ;->

    Frankly, I expect diversity will continue to decrease. Even the
    "security solution diversity" Andrew talks about will decrease.
    Security providers will merge, products will die, the market will
    consolidate. Microsoft will introduce security software to try to fix
    Grandma's computer, then software companies will die like Stacker, and
    Netscape. Beyond that, to grow the PC market Microsoft will push PC's
    into ever less technically inclined people, who will make the problems
    worse.

    What happy thoughts eh?

    Cheers,
    Brad

    Brad Siemssen
    Strongbox Network Services
    www.strongboxnetworks.com
    brad@private
    503.466.1416

    --
    This message checked for dangerous content by MailScanner on StrongBox.