Re: CRIME Emergency communications planning question

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 22:28:51 PDT

    Kris, and the Group;
            MARS is indeed already set-up, sanctioned by DoD and has
    been running drills on the possible loss of Communications/Telco
    overload for years... Need was first Id'd in 1996 locally following
    the floods, and how quickly not only telco but also 800 MHz radio
    went out of service. Other parts of the Country Identified the need
    many years earlier during Hurricanes, Earthquakes, and so on.
            We are also part of SHARES (FEMA) HF Radio networking
    and support FEMA, Red Cross, Telco, CAP, DoMS and about 20 other
    Federal Agencies for Mitigation, recovery, etc. SHARES also includes
    contacts
    in NDMS (Medical), Telco, Petro-chemical, and other industries.
            We have stations throughout the US, and OCONUS as well, including
    in
    some forward areas (sorry- can't be more specific there) and have
    Phone-Patch
    as well as Text Messaging capabilities. (Phone patch is Phone to Radio to
    Phone
    connectivity- like on "MASH"- Just with newer, better more powerful gear
    than
    they had back then. We have members in all three service's operations
    umbrella:
    Army, Air Force and Navy/Marine Corps.
            Our sister service, US NAVY/Marine Corps MARS, has an existing
    support
    MOU (memorandum of understanding) already with the Oregon State Police,
    and
    it's Regional Dispatch Centers and the Office of Emergency Management.
    All three
    service's units can support all above mentioned entitities. We can also
    support local
    government needs, simply by filing the MOU for that Agency or Industry
    with HQ.
            MARS also supports Active Duty and Reserve/National Guard units,
    as we
    utilize Military frequencies for our activities by Permission of the
    Secretary of
    Defense, and can provide inter-agency communications support and
    interface. We
    can also train other HAMS, and those interested in becoming hams to be
    'in-house'
    MARS stations/members, thus providing a quicker method of linking in a
    disaster.
            We also have VHF and UHF frequencies and repeaters to provide for
    close-in
    support (especially when long range frequencies -HF- might be undesired
    for reasons
    of security/stealth). All three service's MARS members use
    interoperability and can
    operate on each other's frequencies. MARS members are ALSO Hams, so they
    can
    for example monitor the local ARES/RACES frequencies and liaison between
    them and
    the communities they serve and the Federal Mitigation and First Responder
    agencies.
            Best part- MARS members are volunteers. As such, except for a few
    extra watts
    of power, or food, or water, they cost nothing if they deploy to the
    scene or operation
    center as needed (We don't require they deploy- they are free to decide
    if they can do
    so safely). Usually, if we can arrange it, we can have stations outside
    the affected area
    monitor those that do deploy so the messages and support info gets
    through in very
    timely/short manner.
            We utilize 'EEI' formatting, and as such, messages to/from an
    area if intercepted
    are not useful to any potential enemies/bad guys. Example:
    A-1: Yes A-2: 23 A-3 102669 B-1: Affirmative C-1: Unknown D: 125 Pounds.

    Receiver and sender would have master copy that would allow them to get
    the following
    data: Yes, Radio Comm established in/out. 23 Volunteers on site. HQ Setup
    at grid 102 x
    669. National Guardsmen have arrived. Cause of disaster unknown. 125
    pounds of food
    needed to feed crews.

    Each agency form could be modified to provide the logistics they need
    without allowing
    those outside the need to know circle to get extra or detrimental
    information..

    Hope this overview helps you..
    - John Jewkes, State Director Oregon/Idaho, US ARMY MARS

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:15:15 -0500 "Quinby, Kris (MED)"
    <kris.quinby@private> writes:
    > I think the DOD sponsored MARS program is a part of that.  There used
    > be someone on this list that was/is a coordinator for the MARS
    > program
    > for Oregon and I think Idaho.  Maybe that person can help answer
    > questions?
    >
    > -Kris

    Signed,
    John E. Jewkes, SMD US Army MARS Oregon/Idaho
    OR/ID State Director (Portland METRO Area Resident)
    Confidential Phone Number (Confirm Only) 503-977-0527
    National HQ (24/7) Identify Line: 1-800-633-1128 ext 1

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!