Re: CRIME FW: @Stake pulls pin on Geer: Effect on research and publication

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 22:20:56 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >>My parents would be shocked to discover that you think the 31
    >>unpatched vulnerabilities in internet explorer are THEIR fault:
    >> http://xev.us/dg (google cache of PivX's list, which seems to be
    >> down at the moment.)
    >>

    >I don't think users are responsible for the vulnerabilities, they're
    >responsible for their machines.
    >
    >How about an analogy: You walk into a public space with a radio that is
    >softly playing music and not bothering anybody. The radio malfunctions

    A similar analogy that is actually in the law: it is actually an offense
    (or so I'm told) to leave your car in the street with the keys in it.
    The rationale is that it invites thieves to steal the car, consuming
    police resource to chase them, and potentially allowing the thieves to
    commit other offenses using the stolen car.

    Cops on the list can correct me if it is mis-information that leaving
    your car vulnerable like that is an offense.

    >Hence, the logical way to resolve the "monoculture risk" is:

    The relationship between responsable machine ownership and the
    monoculture risk is strained. Automobiles are a monoculture: thieves can
    pretty much steal them all the same way. But cars are not
    internetworked: you cannot write a worm (yet) that will simultaneously
    infect 5 million cars and cause all of them to halt in the middle of
    traffic and start honking.

    So the threat of monoculture combined with the threat of common
    irresponsible machine ownership is much, much worse in an internetworked
    environment.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/