Re: CRIME Wiretapping WiFi

From: Duane Nickull (duane@private)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 09:05:08 PDT

    Anwers inline...

    Crispin Cowan wrote:
    A friend posed this question, and I have no idea what the answer might be:

    If I'm running an open, non-encrypted wireless network, what is (say) the
    FBI allowed to intercept in an effort to gain evidence?  Do they need a
    warrant?  Is the data admissible?  What if I live in an apartment with
    other folks.  What about when I'm using a t-mobile hotspot?
    Yes - There is a new sherrif in town in the US and he likes ot read the Patriot Act (anything on anybody anytime).

    As George Orwell implied in 1984, nothing can get a group of citizens to voluntarily give up their rights faster than a prolonged war against an unseen enemy.

    Read about the vast new powers of wiretaps on American Citizens here:

    http://archive.aclu.org/issues/privacy/Patriot_Chart_law.html
    Same questions, but this time, I'm running an encrypted network?  Can they
    capture the data and crack the key?  Can they capture it for later use after
    they sieze my equipment and get my key?
    Yes - they have that right under the new act.  They can do whatever they deem necessary in the name of national security.

    From the act itself:

    "Permits interception without notice to the target of communications of a broadly defined "computer trespasser" with consent of owner/operator of a protected computer. "

    Land of the free ;-)

    /d
    Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
    Web Services & ebXML Messaging / Registry Downloads
    UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture/ ebXMl Technical Architecture
    Phone:   +1 (604) 738-1051 - Canada: Pacific Standard Time
    Direct:  +1 (604) 726-3329