CRIME Wiretapping WiFi

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 20:07:23 PDT

    A friend posed this question, and I have no idea what the answer might be:

    If I'm running an open, non-encrypted wireless network, what is (say) the
    FBI allowed to intercept in an effort to gain evidence?  Do they need a
    warrant?  Is the data admissible?  What if I live in an apartment with
    other folks.  What about when I'm using a t-mobile hotspot?

    Same questions, but this time, I'm running an encrypted network?  Can they
    capture the data and crack the key?  Can they capture it for later use after
    they sieze my equipment and get my key?

    No, I'm not under surveillance   I'm giving a presentation and I know I'm
    going to get asked these questions.

    Any lawmen out there know the actual answer?

    Thanks,

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/