Re: [Re: CRIME Wiretapping WiFi]

From: Duane Nickull (duane@private)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 11:30:48 PDT

    Brian Varine wrote:
    The Patriot Act is far from 1984. Wiretaps still require a judges order only
    now it can cover multiple numbers and jurisdictions which is prudent.
    Absolutely not true.  Under the Patriot Act, Borad powers of tapping electronic communications can be done without judicial blessing or notification;

    I quote from section 217 of the Patriot Act; 2) in section 2511(2),

    "It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person acting under color of law to intercept the wire or electronic communications of a computer trespasser transmitted to, through, or from the protected computer, if--
    `(I) the owner or operator of the protected computer authorizes the interception of the computer trespasser's communications on the protected computer;
    `(II) the person acting under color of law is lawfully engaged in an investigation;
    `(III) the person acting under color of law has reasonable grounds to believe that the contents of the computer trespasser's communications will be relevant to the investigation; and
    `(IV) such interception does not acquire communications other than those transmitted to or from the computer trespasser.'."

    There is no mention of the need for a judge to okay this.  In fact, the PA defines that a person may never even find out if a judge had given a blessing to intercept legal communications and you certainly do not have the right to review the information contained in any such application.  These are sealed applications if need be.

    A "tresspasser" is defined as a person who does not have contractual rights to use the computer.  This is far too loose a definition since an internet based message may travel through many different systems, some of which there are no direct contractual obligations with end users.  ACLU is upset about this since it is not tight enough to be meaningful (although I do not want to speak on their behalf, that was how I intepretted their statements).

    dn
    Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
    Web Services & ebXML Messaging / Registry Downloads
    UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture/ ebXMl Technical Architecture
    Phone:   +1 (604) 738-1051 - Canada: Pacific Standard Time
    Direct:  +1 (604) 726-3329