Re: [Re: CRIME Wiretapping WiFi]

From: Duane Nickull (duane@private)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 16:49:06 PDT

    Second sentence is key - roving wiretaps..  They can go before a three judge
    panel and say " We suspect something is up and we want to put a group of
    [John Doe's] under surveillance".  The court says okay and they never have
    to disclose what they did or who they did it to.

    All of this was relevant to the original question posted this morning voicing a concern if electronic surveillance can be done.  The answer I believe is applicable is "yes"

    Duane

    Brian Varine wrote:
    So what's the beef? Everyone is belly-aching about the police just going out and surveilling everyone. Your quote says it all, authorities have to go before a *three-judge panel*! Not the Chief of Police or the FBI....Judges! That's a check and balance, the cops cannot do what they please.