Re: CRIME [VIRUS] Don't Use this patch immediately !

From: Craig.Schiller@private
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 16:21:13 PDT

    This is a re-post with a different subject line since those discussing this
    may not have since the original post

    This e-mail spoofs the sender so it only looks like it comes from
    security.microsoft.com.  The real originator from the last copy I received
    was a Verizon DSL user using an account in Everett, Washington.   The block
    of Ip addresses is owned by Genuity but is apparently being distributed by
    Verizon.
    The publicly visible address was 4.47.73.9 but the individual actual
    address
    may be natted.  I say this on the possibility that the infected machine is
    one of our regular responders.  You can check your PC by running ipconfig
    (Win2K and above)
    from the dos line or winipcfg (win 9x) and looking at the gateway address.
    Your PC may be assigned a private address like 192.168.1.x but the DSL
    modem/router translates that address into its publicly visible address.  If
    your gateway address begins with 4.47.x.x then your PC may be the actual
    source of the Microsoft Patch now emails that have been hitting the CRIME
    mailing list.

    Craig A Schiller, CISSP
    Global Information Security Officer
    RadiSys Corporation
    craig.schiller@private
    503.615.1646

    This electronic message contains information which may be confidential,
    privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
    intended to be used solely by the named recipient(s).  If you are not a
    named recipient, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use
    of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you have received
    this transmission in error, please notify me immediately.

    |         |           "Todd Ellner"    |
    |         |           <tellner@cedarlak|
    |         |           e.com>           |
    |         |           owner-crime@private|
    |         |           x.edu            |
    |         |            10/16/2003 11:54|
      |                                                                                                                               |
      |       To:       <sarnold@private>, <crime@private>                                                                       |
      |       cc:                                                                                                                     |
      |       Subject:  Re: CRIME [VIRUS] Don't Use this patch immediately !                                                          |

     [snip]
     Check the headers:
     [4.47.73.9])
              by tuttle.oit.pdx.edu (8.12.10/8.12.10) with SMTP id
     h9G2fMx8000787
              for <crime@private>; Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

     Looks like 4.47.73.9 sent it.

     That netblock is owned by Genuity. Best of luck convincing them it is
     worth their time to track down a single windows user who didn't care
     enough to buy an antivirus tool.

     [snip]

     "We were wondering whom to send the bill from our IT consultant to. The
     virus we got from your machine looks like it will cost us umpty-ump
     thousand dollars in lost data, emergency hourly work, and compromised law
     enforcement and anti terrorist computers.

     Just want to make sure the invoice ends up on the right desk.

     Ta ta,
     Ima Bofh"