RE: CRIME NAI to Ramp Up Intrusion Protection Products

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 20:38:22 PDT

    All the "application control" based host-based security products are a
    waste in a corporate, Windows environment. Most of them depend on static
    mappings of applications that are allowed to run. Great idea, but
    anytime there is a change on the system, you have to rehash the entire
    allow-list. Its why things like ZoneAlarm and similar such "application
    controls" are awful for large corporate networks. The users are
    constantly nagged to allow this or allow that. As if the user would have
    any idea what applications are legitimate or not. BlackICE/RS Desktop
    has this feature, but I never advise customers to turn it on - unless
    they use one of my kludgy hacks that turns the feature into a crude
    "tripwire-like" file monitor.

    It will be interesting to see what NAI does with the Entercept engine.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President/Principal Consultant
    Anitian Enterprise Security

    503-644-5656 Office