Re: CRIME administrivia: closing the list

From: Zot O'Connor (zot@private)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 16:08:16 PST

    On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 13:39, Mark Morrissey wrote:
    > One of the topics that comes up periodically is whether or not to close
    > the list. By 'close', I mean invoke the majordomo option that restricts
    > postings such that the originating email address must be subscribed to the
    > list for the posting to be successful.
    >
    > In the past, this has been opposed as some people want to read at one
    > location and reply from a different location (such as work and home). This
    > would necessitate subscribing from multiple locations.
    >
    > A possible solution would be to subscribe using both accounts but put one
    > account in 'postpone' or suspend mode that would not deliver the email
    > but permit the posting. The majordomo software in use for our email server
    > does not support this option.

    Majordomo (unlike mailman) has a neat feature.  You can include other
    posters in the allowed posters file.  This you create a second mail list
    (crime-posters) that people can easily subscribe too, that never gets
    any posts.

    > However, SPAM is beginning to affect the signal to noise ratio (although
    > some may argue that point  :-) on the list and there is the risk that PSU
    > will become labeled by the various black hole services as an open relay.

    Is spamassassin not working?  It seems that a newer version should catch
    all the spam I see on this list.

    > I would like to hear from those opposing this change. In this case,
    > silence will be equated with assent. To keep the discussions of meta
    > discussions to the minimum, I am asking that people email me directly
    > unless you really feel the need to send your reply to the entire group.

    Well, this is a bad statement
      "silence == assent"
      do not email the list.
    Thus the list sees only silence, and therefore assent.

    So I ask people to email this list, since this is a direct issue for
    people here, while meta to the list, the list is 1/3 of CRIME really, so
    meta == CRIME.

    A while back I did an examination of the posters vs the subscribers.
    They are fairly different.  This is the main reasons I have opposed the
    posters-only approach.  Since this list get cross-posted, and sometimes
    linked to USENET (against requests) people regular use spam catching
    emails.

    So I generally support posters_only, if, and only if, there is a good
    mechanism for dealing with valid non-subscription posters.  Mailman has
    its notifications.  Is there any quarantine for the majordomo system
    there?  Do you have enough control to add one?  (I think I did that a
    few years ago to a majordomo system per list).

    --
    Zot O'Connor

    http://www.ZotConsulting.com
    http://www.WhiteKnightHackers.com