Re: CRIME WordofMouthConnection spam

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 18:46:00 PST

    Mark T. Johnson wrote:

    > A friend of mine got a suspicious e-mail which she forwarded to me. A
    > quick search lead me to the conclusion that this is
    > an old scam. Of course my advice to her was to report it to the ISP's
    > abuse mailbox. These guys appear to have been
    > moving around from ISP to ISP.  Anyone seen this before? Any better
    > advice?
    >
    > Here is part of the e-mail she got (with her email address removed):

    I got a swarm of spam from word-of-mouth a couple of months ago. Then
    they abruptly stopped. I could never quite figure out whether it was a
    pure spam play, or if it was a dumb-ass dot.com business that let users
    do queries on some e-mail address and try to build a network similar to
    friendster.com. I don't actually care that much, as I treated it all as
    spam and fed all the posts to spamcop.net.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/