CRIME Worms Turn on Military Networks - By Mickey McCarter - Military Information Technology

From: Shaun Savage (savages@private)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 07:23:01 PST

    <http://www.mit-kmi.com/articles.cfm?DocID=286>

    Worms Turn on Military Networks - By Mickey McCarter - Military Information Technology

    Today is: Nov 30, 2003
    Volume: 7  Issue: 9
    Published: Nov 29, 2003

    Military Information Technology
    Military Information Technology
    In this Issue of Military Information Technology
    Search Military Information Technology Archives
    Military Information Technology Past Covers
    Events for Military Information Technology
    Get Contact Information at Military Information Technology
    Advertise at Military Information Technology
    Subscribe to Military Information Technology

    AUSA

    Military Training Technology

    Military Medical Technology

    Military Aerospace Technology

    Special Operations Technology

    In This Issue:

    FORCEnet Deployer
    Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet

    Field Test Highlights FORCEnet Advances
    Navy builds the information architecture needed for network-centric warfare, integrating and enhancing existing networks, sensors, commands, platforms, operations and weapons.

    Cluster 5: Small Radios, Big Demands
    Two industry teams face the challenge of putting miniaturized software-defined radio technology into the hands of soldiers, rather than into their vehicles.

    Buying Time: Disconnects in Satcom Procurement
    As network-centric warfare produces a burgeoning military demand for commercial satellite communications, analysts urge Pentagon shift to long-term purchases.

    Worms Turn on Military Networks
    A wave of destructive worms in recent months has focused attention on the potential vulnerability of military networks to malicious computer attacks.

    Urge to Convergence
    The combination of voice, data and video into unified networks is becoming inevitable within military communications systems, potentially making circuit-based equipment seem old-fashioned.

    Secure Faxing Preserves Military Niche
    Faxing remains a useful technology for defense needs, especially because of its ability to generate immediate feedback about whether the transmission was successful.

    Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
    Vice President

    DISA Buyers Guide (PDF Download)

    PEOEIS Buyers Guide (PDF Download)

    Worms Turn on Military Networks

    A wave of destructive worms in recent months has focused attention on the potential vulnerability of military networks to malicious computer attacks.
    By Mickey McCarter

    A wave of destructive worms in recent months has focused attention on the potential vulnerability of the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) and other military networks to malicious computer attacks.

    In particular, the Blaster, SoBig, Welchia and other worms have spurred concerns among many analysts about the unintended security consequences of the overwhelming worldwide use of and increasing military reliance on the software products of a single company, Microsoft. The attacks resulted in the most expensive year ever in terms of malicious code damages.

    The worms, viruses and Trojan horses mostly spread throughout corporate and personal computer systems through security flaws in the design of products from Microsoft, notably its Windows operating systems, security experts contend. To date, all branches of the U.S. military have consciously decided to standardize their enterprise networks on Microsoft products.

    As a result, military network engineers are discovering that the biggest threat to the integrity of their enterprise systems comes not from a coordinated cyber war, but rather from malicious code designed to spread as quickly and thoroughly as possible via Microsoft design flaws.

    SoBig.F, the sixth variant of the SoBig worm, became the most widespread worm in the history of computers in August and September, simply by traveling through weak points in Microsoft software design. Many military networks suffered the same congestion generated by SoBig.F as private sector networks did.

    The alleged weak security measures in Microsoft products and the company’s near-monopoly over key software markets drew the ire of a group of security professionals, who in September released a Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA) report entitled “CyberInsecurity: The Cost of Monopoly.”

    “Microsoft has very usable, functional software, which is why their software is so widely adopted worldwide,” said Ken Dunham, malicious code intelligence manager for iDefense, a cyber security firm based in Reston, VA. “This has led to a dangerous situation: a large body of computers all using the same types of software, vulnerable to the same types of attacks, all connected to one another through the Internet.”

    Dunham predicted that military networks would see more of this problem as they move to standardize on Microsoft products. The infection of the NMCI demonstrates the situation, he contended.

    Network Infiltration

    In August, NMCI suffered its first-ever malicious code incursion when Welchia infiltrated the network.

    To complicate matters, Welchia was designed to mitigate the Blaster worm, thus receiving some media attention as a “good worm.” Blaster ripped through large corporate networks in August by exploiting a vulnerability in the way Windows makes a remote procedure call (RPC) in a Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) interface. RPC is an Internet-standard protocol to enable an application on one computer to run code on a remote computer. Attackers could exploit the flaw to take total control of affected systems. The author of Welchia launched that worm to patch this DCOM RPC flaw and stop the spread of Blaster.

    While Welchia patched the vulnerability, however, it also opened a port to allow a malicious actor to gain control over a computer, according to analysts at iDefense. Welchia successfully invaded NMCI because of the timing of certain procedures on the network, said Captain Chris Christopher, staff director of the NMCI office.

    “Unfortunately, we did not have the virus signature for the Welchia worm when it hit us,” Christopher said. “As soon as the signature became available, we implemented it immediately across the enterprise and we immediately stopped the infection.”

    NMCI relies upon anti-virus software from Symantec, which periodically releases revised anti-virus definitions to empower its software to mitigate new worms like Welchia. However, Welchia continued to contact the network, sending packets to specific IP addresses and waiting for replies. The pinging generated network traffic that slowed NMCI considerably, but did not halt operations.

    Network technicians spent about 48 hours struggling to mitigate the effect, which was the equivalent of a denial-of-service attack. In a denial of service, a malicious application ties up network traffic, thus making resources unavailable to legitimate traffic.

    “It was sort of a timing issue,” Christopher explained. “It came to us before the anti-virus signature got to us. We had a patch that fixed the vulnerability that it was looking for, but we have a standardized process that we follow to test all patches before we deploy them. Welchia got to us about two days before that patch got there.”

    Christopher said NMCI program components are continuing to conduct a lessons-learned study to understand how Welchia attacked NMCI, and what they can do to stop similar attacks in the future.

    “The good news is that we kept running,” he said. “It did not bring us down, as reported in some cases in the press or misstated by members of our own organization. We were able to keep operating. It just impacted the plumbing. It caused a slowdown. Applications for whom the timing of a response is very important were timing out, that kind of thing, but in terms of the network operating, it continued to operate throughout.”

    Meanwhile, Navy components under the Navy Network Warfare Command (NETWARCOM) continue to provide information assurance and defense against malicious code. The Navy Information Assurance center provides downloads for anti-virus solutions from Symantec, Trend Micro and McAfee/Network Associates Technology to support Navy legacy systems.

    Defense In Depth

    The Navy is not alone in its concerns over malicious code. In September, the Army announced contract awards to four major vendors in its Information Technology Enterprise Solutions (ITES) program. Beginning October 1, contractors Dell, GTSI, Hewlett-Packard and Lockheed Martin began offering network hardware and software under indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity contracts collectively worth about $500 million.

    The Army depends on a mix of anti-virus solutions under licenses purchased by the Department of Defense. Army computers also use anti-virus solutions from Symantec, Trend Micro and McAfee. The ITES contract awards do not change this situation; vendors must continue to work with the existing anti-virus solutions for now, said Colonel Thaddeus Dmuchowski, director of the information awareness directorate at the Army’s Network Enterprise Technology Command (NETCOM).

    The Army is using more than anti-virus applications to fend off malicious code, however. The combined resources of the Army Network Operations Center (ANOC) and Army Computer Emergency Response Team (ACERT), collocated at Fort Belvoir, VA, are vital in Army network defense, Dmuchowski said.

    “What we have done with the collocation of the ANOC and the ACERT, that allowed us to fuse operational issues, intelligence issues and security issues from all of the security disciplines to develop a real continuum of computer network operations,” Dmuchowski said. “Instead of just sitting back to defend when something happens, it allows us to look at the impacts of what might coming, taking proactive measures such as shutting down ports, or preparing prepositioned network blocks that we can import very quickly in the event they are needed.”

    Dmuchowski said that many of the lessons learned implemented by the Army resulted from the attack of the Slammer worm, which ravaged networks worldwide in January. Slammer spread through a flaw in Microsoft SQL Server 2000’s Resolution Service, affecting networks of large enterprises, including Microsoft itself, and causing millions of dollars in damage.

    “What we learned from the worms also is that response times need to be shortened from the time we find out about something to the time we get whatever patches or corrective actions in place,” Dmuchowski said. “We have identified that our defenders on the network, everyone responsible for security of the network, need to be available 24/7, including evenings and weekends. You notice that many of these worms are not launched during a nine-to-five business day, Monday through Friday.”

    Indeed, reports from iDefense indicate that many of these worms are authored by foreign nationals, including malicious coding groups in China, Pakistan, Russia and other countries, and by students, who typically have downtime on weekends to launch the code. Generally, a coordinated response to malicious code is more difficult to coordinate when an outbreak occurs outside of the traditional workweek, say analysts.

    Malicious code authors exploit vulnerabilities much faster than they did only a few years ago, Dunham noted.

    “The window of opportunity to patch before threats emerge regarding new vulnerabilities has dramatically dropped over the past 18 months,” he said. “It used to be around six months before you would see an exploit appear, on average. We now see an increase in zero-day exploits as well as an average of only about 100 days for exploits to appear in the wild. In the case of the recent RPC attacks, we saw vulnerabilities exploited within a five to 10 day window, not nearly enough time for some large organizations to protect against such attacks.”

    Dmuchowski admitted that different worms, such as Blaster, SoBig and Welchia, had impacted different components of the Army in recent months. However, he added, the Army’s defense-in-depth approach is largely successful in containing most malicious code outbreaks. NETCOM, ANOC and ACERT have adopted a proactive regime, as prescribed by Army regulations, Dmuchowski said.

    “The Army regulation 100-5, which is how the Army fights, states that you cannot be victorious if you stay on the defense. You must quickly transition to the offense,” Dmuchowski said. “The way we are approaching that in the computer network operation arena is that we are not sitting back and waiting to be attacked. We are trying to start to do the threat analysis and take those proactive stances that we can to preposition blocks or to speed up the timeline on how quickly we fix patches so that we can fix them prior to their exploitation.”

    Standardization Risks

    The military cannot afford to rely on anti-virus solutions alone, Dunham said.

    “Relying upon anti-virus solutions is inherently flawed,” he said. “If heuristics were any good at catching the next virus, we would never have another big virus outbreak. Even in the case of a worm family like SoBig, new variants couldn’t be stopped with heuristics. The reality is clear: Anti-virus software is a good security measure to have in place, but it does not protect against most new and emerging malicious code threats.”

    Dunham noted that solutions such as those provided by iDefense give computer users advance warning of malicious code outbreaks. Dunham’s team pinpointed the testing of Welchia 25 days before the worm first spread. Government CERT teams and Navy Information Assurance provide similar functions to the networks they service. A number of foreign nations have aggressively explored the use of different platforms, notably Linux systems, to thwart malicious code outbreaks.

    “There are only a handful of non-Windows type worms, such as Lion, Cheese, Spida and Slapper,” Dunham said. “There are of course rootkits and many Trojans on multiple platforms. While Macintosh computers are typically considered immune to virus attacks, we do find that Macintosh computers often serve as a vector through which viruses may spread, with infected files being sent onwards to targeted platforms such as Microsoft Windows.”

    Still, alternate platforms are simply not infected by malicious code designed for Microsoft products. Users of Macintosh computers, from Apple Computer, do not need to guard against exploits developed for Microsoft Windows systems.

    The military obviously sees the benefits of standardization, Dunham said. But he urged developers to consider avoiding standard configurations where possible.

    “Obviously interoperability is a huge factor for the military, so the use of widely adopted, easy-to-deploy Microsoft solutions is a big plus in standardizing the use of such software,” Dunham explained. “There are more support groups, more training materials, and more people trained to work on such programs as compared to alternative solutions.”

    Even so, he added, “a multi-tiered approach would benefit the military most. The military should carefully consider multiple solutions to help lower the risk of attack, including non-standard setups and configurations and vendors for more sensitive areas of military networks.”

    Christopher argued that the military must keep an eye on anything that impacts the critical infrastructure of the nation at large. Thus, the military services would still maintain vigilance on malicious code outbreaks even if they had chosen to standardize on an alternate platform. Microsoft Windows accounts for 90 percent of all operating systems on desktop computers.

    “If you have vulnerabilities, the bug doesn’t know if it is a military or non-military computer,” Christopher said. “In reality, however, something that is impacting the efficiency of our national IT infrastructure impacts our capabilities from a military perspective as well. We are, of course, interested in these things even if they are not affecting us directly. If they are affecting our industry partners, like Lockheed or Boeing or someone like that, we are obviously affected by that as well.”

    The CCIA report argues that the Microsoft monopoly has resulted in an international monoculture, where the software giant has failed to keep its products secure. “The threats to international security posed by Windows are significant, and must be addressed quickly,” the report contends.

    While strongly disputing the report’s conclusions, Microsoft officials continue to strengthen the security of their ubiquitous software products. The company in October announced a series of security steps that included improved patch-management processes, user education and software updates designed to make software systems more resistant to attack.

    The CCIA report cites statistics from mi2g Ltd., a cyber security firm based in London, that conclude global damage from malicious code has totaled $107 billion so far in 2003. The SoBig worms alone, the report adds, were responsible for $30 billion in damages.

    Organizations lose money as resources become unavailable and must spend their money to restore services destroyed by malicious code. Military organizations are no exception, but Dmuchowski said that the Army will continue to search for ways to keep costs in line as well.

    “As a learning organization, the Army constantly has to change,” Dmuchowski said. “We take away new ideas and new action reviews that tell us what to change to make it better. So today’s processes will not be the same as next month’s processes because different things will change. The hacker community or the people who want to do us harm are not restricted by money and are not restricted by timelines. We have to be prepared for just about everything.”

    To Top

    Home | In This Issue | Archives | Events | Contact | Advertisers | Subscribe

    Military Training Technology  Military Medical Technology  Military Aerospace Technology  Special Operations Technology
    KerriganMedia.com

    © 2003 Kerrigan Media International, Inc. All rights reserved. Kerrigan Media International, Inc. ("we," "us") provides publications, information, content, text and graphic material, and other products and services (all and/or any portion of which, are individually and collectively referred to as "KMI Publications"). KMI Publications also refers to web sites, production, processing and communications facilities whether owned, operated or provided by us ourselves or in conjunction with others pursuant to contractual arrangements. KMI Publications are for informational purposes only and your access, use, subscription to or display of any KMI Publications is subject to applicable U.S. law and regulation, as well as certain international treaties. You may access and use KMI Publications and download and print or create only one copy of content or the information in KMI Publications, solely for your own personal use. You may not republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute materials from any KMI Publications, without our prior written permission. Modification of or useof any KMI Publications for any other purpose is a violation of our copyright and other proprietary rights, and is strictly prohibited. All trademarks, service marks, and logos used on or in KMI Publications are either ours or are used with permission.