Re: CRIME Security experts nix Internet voting plan

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 22:25:05 PST

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >>But I still question the "secret for obvious reasons" assertion. The
    >>reasons are far from obvious. "Importance" doesn't cut it at
    >>all. Who is
    >>mandating the secrecy? The State, Sabre, or Anitian? Whoever
    >>it is needs
    >>to get some better advice.
    >>

    >Confidentiality agreements. Its company policy at Anitian to never
    >discuss the details of our client's security in a public forum. I cannot
    >disclose anything about this project because it would be a violation of
    >those covenents.

    Fair enough: it is the State that imposing the "secret" approach, and
    Anitian is just diligently following the relevant NDAs. I would hope
    that the code will be revealed in the future, but that is up to the State.

    >If you want details of this system, you'll have to talk to the Secretary
    >of State. Its their project, so they will decide what to disclose.

    They will have to decide, but I would hope that their hired security
    expertise (Anitian) will make them aware of the significant advantages
    of opening the system, and the significant risks of keeping it closed.

    Caveat: there is a *big* difference between "revealing the source" and
    "Open Source(tm)". The former just reveals the source code to the
    public, while (potentially) keeping the code proprietary to the vendors.
    Only the latter grants the right to modify and distribute the code to
    the public. IMHO, revealing the source is a requirement to preserve
    public confidence in the integrity of the electoral process. OTOH, I see
    no particularly compelling reason for election code to be fully Open Source.

    I understand that, as a contractor, Anitian likely cannot take a public
    position on what should be done here. However, I would hope that in
    private, Anitian urges the State to open the source.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com
    Immunix 7.3           http://www.immunix.com/shop/