CRIME Citibank e-mail scam

From: Steve Gracon (Steve.Gracon@private)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 15:51:07 PST

    Just had this fun e-mail sent to two of my publicly accessible e-mail
    accounts. Yet another reason to not use HTML as the default in Outlook.

    <BOM>
    Dear Citibank Member,
    This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your E-mail
    address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
    below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit
    Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.
    This is done for your protection - because some of our members
    no longer have access to their email addresses and we must
    verify it.
    To verify your E-mail address and access your bank account,
    click on the link below:
    https://web_da-us_citibank_com/signin/citifi/scripts/email_verifyjsp
    ---------------------------------------
    Thank you for using Citibank
    ---------------------------------------
    <EOM>
    While the URL looks authentic, a look at the source reveals the
    following <A HREF=> tag:

    http://210_169_91_178/scripts/email_verify.htm

    which upon lookup resolves to:

    sh-obp2-9-178.usr.neweb.ne.jp

    With any luck the standard user will be wary of such scams and notice
    the less-than-proper use of the English language.

    V/R,

    Steve Gracon