Re: CRIME Citibank e-mail scam

From: Joe St Sauver (JOE@private)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 10:37:25 PST

Carter mentioned...

#Spam and fishing emails certainly wouldn't exist if
#people did not buy the products advertised, or fall
#for the scam and provide confidential information.

I'm not sure that people buying a product is an economic prerequisite for
spam to exist. See: "The Economics of Spam: the Spam Business Isn't Always
What You'd Think" http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/summer2003/spameconomics.html

#Am I not alone with approximately 500 to 1000 blocked
#spam messages per DAY?  I refuse to change my email
#address.

I'm like you -- I'm going to stay with the username I've had for a long time,
and stand and fight. Trying to hide is a losing strategy, unless you want to
just lurk rather than fully participate.

In terms of spam volume, because we block at connect time, a single blocked
connection can translate to a thousand or even ten thousand pieces of blocked
spam, but you may find the spam blocking statistics at

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/spam-volume-stats.html

of interest, at least in terms of trends. Some of the growth is associated
with virus-related blocking, but then we all know that viruses and spam are
just different parts of a complete ecosystem, right? E.g., see:
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/4217

Regards,

Joe