CRIME Surreptitious software

From: Rob Magee (robmagee100@private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 11:36:19 PDT

    Yesterday, the network team botched a silent install of Resource Monitor
    (resourcemonitor.com) on my computer when I logged in. I noticed it when I
    had to reboot after the install conflicted with MS's handwriting and speech
    module for Office and crashed.
    This software is aimed at monitoring staff application use, but goes a step
    further by adding screenshot capture and keylogging.
    My question is, is it legal to have silently installed keylogging software,
    even though that feature may not be enabled? My understanding is that
    keylogging is the digital equivalent of wiretapping, but I need some
    clarification.
    Thanks all.
    You can respond to me at:
    Rob Magee