Re: CRIME Opinions needed for Caller ID for E-mail Graduate paper...

From: Joe St Sauver (JOE@private)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 18:15:17 PDT

    Hi Brent,

    #In my dwindling spare time, I am a student at Oregon Graduate Institu=
    #te and I'm hoping some of you can assist me with a research paper I a=
    #m working on. I have been researching the proposal by Microsoft for C=
    #aller ID for E-mail. It seems like a good concept to combat spam but =
    #I am just curious if individuals across the security spectrum would d=
    #eem it a valuable tool or not. I have found that Yahoo is also lookin=
    #g into promoting a product that does much of the same, called Domain =
    #Keys using SPF. This also looks like a viable option but like most te=
    #chnologies, it looks a lot different on paper than it does in real li=
    #fe. I value the opinions of this group, so feel free to email me back=
    # with your opinion, thoughts, etc. As a disclaimer, I won't use any o=
    #f your company or personal information in the paper. =20

    I think of the three current contenders (MS Caller-ID, SPF and Domain
    Keys), SPF is the horse that's eventually going to win, and also the
    one that will have the most effect in terms of combatting spam.
    I talk briefly about it at the end of my talk, "Email Effective Security
    Practices: 5 Concrete Areas to Scrutinize" talk from the Internet2 Member
    Meeting (Arlington VA, April 20, 2004)
    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/emailsecurity/email-security.ppt (or .pdf)

    You may feel free to quote me. :-)

    Regards,