Re: CRIME wireless case study URLs?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 08:38:57 PDT

Warren Harrison wrote:

>> Ignorance of the law is different from ignorance of the facts.
>> Trespass is not trespass unless "no trespassing" signs are clearly
>> posted, because one can be fully aware of the laws of trespassing,
>> but have no chance of detecting passage from state land to private
>> property while wandering through the woods, unless signs are posted.
>
> Actually, this isn't true - see ORS 164.205 and below.
> While most of the time, you won't get arrested for
> trespass if you stumble onto someone's property, you
> are indeed trespassing unless you have their permission.

Interesting. So if there is no visible signage to indicate the boundary
of the private property, how am I supposed to know I am trespassing?

> Most home wireless users are clueless that their
> wireless access is accessible by anyone within
> their home. In spite of a relatively small community
> that not only knows it is available, but are willing
> to share their own bandwidth, I would doubt that
> a "reasonable person" would think that random wireless
> networks are premises open to the public.

And that is the point of contention, because I do think that a
"reasonable person" would assume that an unprotected WAP means
"permission to surf the Internet." I have watched business people do
exactly that; they pop open the laptop, let the machine promiscuously
connect, and have at it.

Crispin