Re: CRIME wireless case study URLs?

From: Warren Harrison (warren@private)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:30:58 PDT

Crispin Cowan wrote:

> Warren Harrison wrote:
>
>>> Ignorance of the law is different from ignorance of the facts.
>>> Trespass is not trespass unless "no trespassing" signs are clearly
>>> posted, because one can be fully aware of the laws of trespassing,
>>> but have no chance of detecting passage from state land to private
>>> property while wandering through the woods, unless signs are posted.
>>

>> Actually, this isn't true - see ORS 164.205 and below.
>> While most of the time, you won't get arrested for
>> trespass if you stumble onto someone's property, you
>> are indeed trespassing unless you have their permission.
>

> Interesting. So if there is no visible signage to indicate the boundary
> of the private property, how am I supposed to know I am trespassing?

In your example, a "reasonable person" would not
know if there was no break in features, so you wouldn't
be trespassing. So your statement "ignorance of the
facts" is indeed correct. However, let's say you walk out of
the forest into a obviously mowed and maintained
meadow. A reasonable person might very well infer
they are now on private property whether there is a
sign or not. My point was that it is in general not up
to the property owner to take some action to make
it trespassing.

>> Most home wireless users are clueless that their
>> wireless access is accessible by anyone within
>> their home. In spite of a relatively small community
>> that not only knows it is available, but are willing
>> to share their own bandwidth, I would doubt that
>> a "reasonable person" would think that random wireless
>> networks are premises open to the public.
>

> And that is the point of contention, because I do think that a
> "reasonable person" would assume that an unprotected WAP means
> "permission to surf the Internet." I have watched business people do
> exactly that; they pop open the laptop, let the machine promiscuously
> connect, and have at it.

That is an interesting idea. *If* anyone ever
tried to prosecute a war driver for trespassing
(I don't want to be the first deputy to arrest
someone for "cybertrespassing), it would ultimately
be tested by how reasonable it sounds to the 12
people in the jury box. It would also be interesting
to know the state of mind of these businesspeople
you  mention.

Do they know they are trespassing, but still do it?
Lots of people cut through someone's yard or field
to take a shortcut or use a public park after hours.
They know they are not supposed to, but they do so
anyway. The law is really as much about state of
mind as actions.

This is actually more interesting than it sounds
(well, maybe it does sound interesting :-)
Burglary is basically defined (in Oregon) as committing
a crime while trespassing. So *if* war driving *was*
trespassing, and the intruder committed a computer
crime, they would also be committing burglary.
An ambitious DA could really stack the charges :-)

> Crispin

Warren Harrison, EIC/IEEE Software Magazine          warren@private
Department of Computer Science           http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~warren
Portland State University                          PHONE: 503-725-3108
Portland, OR 97207-0751                              FAX: 503-725-3211