Re: CRIME handling child pornography spam?

From: Kevin Smallwood (kcs@private)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 13:53:01 PST

I don't have an answer to this specific question about "lolita" type
material, but I recently discovered a project that may put a dent in some
of the spamming (or future spamming). When you have time, please check out
Project Honey Pot (not to be confused with the honey net project):

        http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

The effort here is to catch the people using harvested lists. While the
CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 isn't the best anti-spam law we could come up with,
it does have some pretty good enforceable (?) clauses about harvesting
addresses from web sites. If you have some time and interest, please give
this a look and let me know if you think this may be effective (someday).
I would encourage everyone with a web site to participate in this project
if it does seem plausible. It seems to be a step in the right direction.

Kevin C. Smallwood
Voice: 503-578-5480; T/L 775-5480
FAX:    503-578-5480; T/L 775-5480

John P Callahan <jcallaha@private>
Sent by: owner-crime@private
12/07/2004 10:20 AM

crime@private
cc

Subject
CRIME handling child pornography spam?

Hello CRIME gurus -

Our users have started to receive some spam that specifically advertises
child pornography and "lolita" type material.

I vaguely recall hearing of a website, e-mail address, or some kind of
contact that will investigate or at least collect these sort of messages,
but I can't seem to find it?  I know where to send 419 scams, but this is
a new one for me.

Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,
John
--
John P. Callahan <jcallaha@private>