Re: Bit Level Forensics Examinations - Fact or Fiction

From: Daniel Oderbolz (by way of Daniel Oderbolz (oderbolzlistsat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 01:49:45 PDT

    Hi Matthew, hi everybody,

    Matthew Brown wrote:

    > It might be possible to examine recently overwritten data at the
    > bit level.  This would involve removing the platters from the hard drive
    > case in a level-10 clean room and remounting them on a highly expensive,
    > highly sensitive electromagnetic field reader.

    Since a hard disc is a magnetic device, it doesn't write 0 and 1 as atomic
    elements. A 1 or a 0 is expressed as a change of the magnetic pattern (this
    change of the magnetic flow causes a induction in the head that reads the
    data).
    Therefore, write and a read is always very fuzzy. Since mangnetic substances
    alway retain there properties, it is absolutely possible to read overwritten
    data.
    If you draw a curve it is easy to imagine: A 1 that was a 0 before will be
    slightly lower than a 1 that was a 1 before.

    > 1.  I was unable to find any commercial services that advertise or perform
    > this procedure.

    As other already pointed out, qbas is such a service. I am not sure, but
    maybe ontrack is also able to do this.

    > 2.  Even if it were possible, I'd like to see counsel explaining to a
    > judge how their experts changed the bits to render their evidence.

    Thats indeed an interesting question. A court will (hopefully) first
    consider other sources of information.
    But what about espionage??

    Just my 2 cents,
    Cheers,