RE: Registry Key LastWrite times

From: Troy Larson (tlarsonat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:10:04 PDT

    Tan,

    You are quite correct in your concern.  We have incident response people in
    our firm who look at live registry information sometimes in the course of
    investigations.  However, when it comes to securing evidence for prosecution
    or litigation, we will always try to obtain an evidentiary image of the hard
    drives and then to conduct our investigation using the evidentiary images.

    The registry will almost certainly change to reflect what the investigator
    does on a live machine.  I think we have had a few posts where this was
    pointed out.  As you said, booting the machine will cause modifications, as
    may searching around the system for information.  It is probably best,
    therefore, to conduct the registry review using non-live registries files
    than to examine live registries on a possibly compromised computer.

    The most available programs to use to review a set of registry files copied
    from a compromised system or evidentiary image files are regedit and
    regedt32, for NT/2000/XP systems, and regedit and regdat (a shareware
    program), for Windows 9x/ME registry files.

    For NT/2000/XP systems, you can load the registry hive files into the live
    registry of the examining workstation using regedt32 ("Registry|Load Hive"
    on the regedt32 menu).  You will be asked to provide a key name after select
    the hive file to load--choose a name that is meaningful to you rather than
    the registry (e.g. "badguy_software" or "badguy_system").  The hive will
    load and you can review that portion of the registry contained in that hive
    file in its native format.  If you need to change permission to see the data
    in certain keys, use can use regedt32 (menu-"Security|Premissions").  To
    search the registry, it is best to use regedit, which has a more
    sophisticated and complete search function.  You can have both regedit and
    regedt32 open at the same time.  Remember to unload the foreign hive when
    you are done.  I have never had a problem, but since you will have added a
    chunk of foreign data to your registry, there is always the possibility of
    really screwing your forensic workstation up.

    To view registry files copied from Win9x/Me computers, try Regdat which
    appears to view the user.dat and system.dat in their native format. For
    regdat, see http://people.freenet.de/h.ulbrich/.

    You can also use the Win9x/Me version of regedit, in dos mode, to convert
    the registry files copied from suspect computers or evidence images into
    readable text files.  (Boot to DOS, command line: Regedit /L:[path to
    system.dat]\system.dat /R:[path to user.dat]\user.dat /E [path for output
    file]\Registry.txt.)  You can go the extra step of making the text file
    viewable in regedit, and hence readable in a native registry format by doing
    the following:  Open the registry text file with Word.  Replace all
    occurrences of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\["subject name"].
    Replace all occurrences of HKEY_USER with HKEY_USER\["subject name"].
    Change the extension of the registry text file from .txt to .reg.  Click on
    the resulting *.reg file to import it into the active registry. Open
    regedit.  You should see "subject name" keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and
    HKEY_USER.  These are the registry keys and values from your subject
    registry files.  You can now review and search through the subject registry,
    seeing the data in its native, hierarchical structure.  Delete the imported
    "subject name" keys when you are done.

    A previous post on the list mentioned the registry tool Resplendent
    Registrar.  See, http://www.resplendence.com/ This is an excellent tool for
    reviewing the registry (NT/2000/Win9x/ME).  It searches the registry
    extremely fast, and presents the search results in a very usable fashion.

    I welcome questions, comments and critique of the above suggestions.

    Troy Larson
    Computer Forensics, Electronic Evidence and Legal Support
    Fiderus Strategic Security and Privacy Services
    (Direct) 425-793-1988
    (Cell) 425-503-5845
    tlarsonat_private
    www.fiderus.com