Re: wipe utilities

From: Julian Tibble (chasmat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 11:48:14 PDT

    You don't necessarily need a dedicated wiping utility, any UNIX / LINUX
    systems you have are already up to the task, and if you don't have any
    you only need one of the readily downloadable bootdisks - the tools needed
    are standard and not large.

    UNIX has two devices that may be of interest - /dev/random and /dev/zero,
    the former outputs a series of random numbers when read, the latter a stream
    of zeros.

    "dd" is a utility which reads from one file and writes to another.  So you
    can fill a hard-drive with random bits by typing:

    dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda        (assuming you are wiping the first IDE
    					harddrive, otherwise you'll have to
    					replace the hda for something else)

    Once you have completed as many passes as are necessary, you can repeat
    with:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    To ensure that the drive is blank, and can be partitioned without "corrupt
    partion table" errors.

    I understand that this doesn't provide a facility for you to `specify the
    wipe byte,' but I think this solution is just as good.

    Julian