Re: wipe utilities

From: svetlikat_private
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 04:59:24 PDT

    *Darren:
    *I am looking to draft a corporate policy requiring all hard drives to be
    wiped before being decommissioned, sold, donated, etc.
    *The wipe utility must be able to make numerous (up to seven) uninterrupted
    passes and support a wide array of file systems (fat, ntfs, etc).
    *Also, the software must support the ability to assign a particular hex
    character as the wipe character.
    *Could anyone recommend some products? I currently use wiper for my
    forensic investigations and am very happy with that but I want to provide
    *our IT group with several other acceptable options.
    *
    *Thanks, D

    Most common tool is WIPEINFO from NortonUtilities, but the GREAT
    disadvantage is its speed (probably all SW tools). It is very slow process.
    My private good experience is with HW disk copier, which have adjustable
    wipe functions built in. It is system independent and very quick and
    safety. It erase ALL info from disk on low-level so its not possible to
    identify no files and no filesystems. More, the operation is very simple
    and you do not need high qualified personnel.
    Marian Svetlik
    Principal Consultant
    Risk Analysis Consultants Ltd.

    Narodni 9,      110 00 Praha 1
    Czech Republic

    Tel.:   +420 2 220 75 352    Fax:    +420 2 242 28 273
    mail:   svetlikat_private           http://www.rac.cz